Thursday, May 24, 2007

A Hidden Place

It is Thursday, May 24th at 3:30 in the afternoon. We have been on Emerald Isle, N.C. for 4 days now. This is one of the most breathtaking places I have ever seen. I had never heard of the Crystal Coast or of Emerald Isle. However several weeks ago I just started surfing the net in hopes of coming across a nice, peaceful place for our family to travel for vacation.

We have had crystal blue skies everyday since we have been here. The ocean is almost as blue as the sky, but a deeper shade. The caps on the ocean are so white they look like waves of milk. I have been enjoying this hidden place mostly because it has been simple. What a blessing to lay on the bed and look out the window in the mornings at God's beautiful creation. What a gift it is to be away from the hustle and bustle of Atlanta Ga with my wonderful husband and beautiful 9 children.

My heart almost weeps with delight as I hear the little ones squealing with joy as they run to the waves and then away again as if they are playing chase with the tide.
My heart swells with joy as I look into their smiling faces and I think to myself, "Their faces are portals of God's glory and grace" Many times we tend to look in bigger places for God's manifest presence. We think we need to get away to some place where we have heard that God's presence hangs out. This may be true.
However, when I look into the faces of my children and when I gaze upon my husband's loving countenance, I see heavenly portals in a place we often forget to look.

God's portals are not primarily in secluded spots like mountain terrains or ocean get aways, they are in the gift of family. Oh if we could really get back to that place of family where God really shows up. Before we left to come here, I was frustrated and felt I needed to get away. Maybe we all needed this vacation. However, as I gaze out over the Crystal Coast of N.C., I have renewed clarity. Family is what matters. My family is my safe place and my hidden place. I am grateful. I am blessed. God is faithful and His portals of favor are open over me.


YOUR TESTIMONIES ARE WONDERFUL!
THEREFORE MY SOUL KEEPS THEM.
THE ENTRANCE OF YOUR WORDS GIVES LIGHT!
IT GIVES UNDERSTANDING TO THE SIMPLE!

PSALM 119:129-130

Father, thank you for this time you have given our family to get away and to spend simple time together. You truly have blessed us with a beautiful place to reflect upon Your goodness and beauty. Most of all Lord, thank you for the reminders of the depth and the importance of family. Thank you for showing me more of Your glory in my children's faces and my husband's tender smile. As I grow in gratefulness, may my own heart be an open portal where Your light will further touch my family and those you put in my path. May my children and my husband also reflect more of Your glory and grace as You continue to draw us closer to You. In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments: