Saturday, July 14, 2007

"Measly Pickins"

People were everywhere. The old and the young made their way down the grassy hill toward the awaiting shore. It was not the water they were drawn to, but a Man who was and is the Source of living water. Deep down they all knew, the babes, moms, dads, grandmas and grandpas. They knew where the real Water was, so that was all they could think of that day. They must not have known how long they would linger to listen and to gaze upon the God Man who had everything to give, for most of them came with no plan for the day except to glean and feast of the Bread of the Living Word.

However, there was a little boy who came prepared that day. His mother must have had a inner knowing or even a hope that her little boy would be away for a large part of the day. Therefore she sent him off with a package of bread and fish.

Jesus had been teaching a good portion of the day, so he began to feel the natural hunger of the crowd. He turned to Phillip,one of his disciples, and asked, "Phillip, Where are we going to buy bread to feed all of these people?" Why was Jesus asking a question He already knew the answer to? He wanted to impart a truth to Phillip in a way that he could not learn from a mere lecture.

Looking around as he pondered the question, he replied, "It would take a fortune to even begin to feed them." As this was being discussed, Andrew was listening in and seeking his own solution to the problem. He spoke up. "There is a little boy here with 5 barley loaves and a couple of fish, but what good will that do?" Jesus then told the disciples to have everyone sit down on the grassy hill. Jesus began to show His name faithful, by passing enough bread and fish out to fulfill all of the people. In addition, the scraps were gathered which filled 12 baskets with enough leftovers for the disciples. What a powerful example of GOD making the seemingly impossible, completely possible from the measly pickins of a little boys' lunch.

When the impossibilities stare us in the face, the reality of what is within us surfaces, just as the doubtful comments of the Phillip and Andrew. The ironic thing is that the disciples had already witnessed miracle after miracle. You would think they would have immediately blurted out the answer to the question Jesus asked.

As I was meditating on the faithless response of the miracle marinated disciples, I began to think about what my own response would have been. I also thought about how I have responded to impossible situations. Because I have always been a pretty emotional person, my first response would probably have been panick, anxiety or distress. Being the "feeling" person that I am ,I may have broken down in fearful tears and judged the whole situation through my timidity and anxiety.

Now there are those who are rational thinkers who like to process things through figuring it out. "Well, in ain't lookin so good. Now see here, we have 5 little biscuits here, and two smelly little fish. Hmmm, Nope, just ain't no way, just ain't no way."

Then I think of the ones who are full of faith and even though they cannot feel it and they cannot figure it, they proclaim, "WITH MY GOD, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!"

So let us ask ourselves,"Am I a feeler, a figurer or a faither?" Regardless of what we are, God meets us with our "measley pickins" if we will transfer them to Him. What are your measley pickins? What if God is showing you an impossible situation that you know you cannot comprehend how it will work out? Maybe you are thinking, "I do not have the time. I do not have a dime. I am not spiritual enough or smart enough. I do not know enough scripture, and I have too many of my own problems. I am too shy, too weak and tired." God says, "Give me your little lunch, your measely pickins and watch what I can do with them. All I ask is that you give me your seemingly pitiful offerings. When you place them in my hands, the miraculous will happen. Your offerings of weakness and inadequacies are lovely to Me."

So beloved, as you wait upon the shore of the never ending river, be assured that when we hand over all things to Him, our little bits as well our abundance, He is faithful to multiply it all into more than we could ever imagine in our limited minds. Let us be thankful for the Sovereignty of God whose ways are not our ways and whose thoughts are far above and beyond our own. Taste and see that the Lord is Good. Have a great Lunch!!!

1 comment:

Kathy Buurma said...

I just finished reading all of your blogs. What a blessing! God has certainly gifted you as a writer and communicator. He has also anointed you with His words to share. May you continue to bless others with this God given gift! I printed up your blogs and will share them with my mom and sister in PA also. They too are in for a real treat. I love you. Kathy