Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Idea Verses the Reality

Everything and anything that relates to having a relationship with God is enough to set me off. I am not talking about anger, but excitement and pursuit. Yes, I am a Jesus freak. Some may say, "You are too heavenly minded to be any earthly good." Oh well. That is just an opinion.

You know, there are some people who want to get married because they are in love with the idea and the concept of being in a relationship and getting married. The idea of it is attractive. Then there are those who desire to marry because they really want the relationship and they will go to any ends to pursue the presence of the one they love so deeply.

There are many people who say they know and believe in God because the idea is interesting and attractive to them. However, we must not confuse the idea of loving God to the reality of loving God. We must be careful not to seek His presence for the wrong reasons. We must guard our motives for He is a holy God as His intentions toward us are pure....pure love and devotion.

There were times in my life when I read my bible and studied its contents not because I wanted to find out about His heart and to pursue His presence, but I just wanted to add to my knowledge and have things to say to others that sounded good and spiritual. I thought that if I did not have something to say to add to a discussion or conversation, then I was not being spiritual. Also, I loved the idea of being in love with God because I was thinking of all that relationship would do for me. Anytime you enter into any relationship with the idea of what it can do for you, you are setting yourself up for voids that will never be filled. For me, this was a religious spirit that I know was not pleasing to God. However, we serve a God who does not waste. May I say He is thrifty?

I believe all the times I thought I was being spiritual by getting into the word just to gain knowledge, the Lord knew where I would be. And the greatest thing was that He still delighted in me. The words that went in did not go to waste because I thought I was doing the right thing. In my mind , I was doing the spiritual things. Even though my motive was tainted, He in His mercy took
what I had to give and enriched the soil of my heart for later planting and revelation of His love and grace.

The reason I am sharing all of this is because as a mother I want my children as well as others who are in my life to be ready for this season that God wants to come and reveal more of Himself to us. He is a holy God. This means He is perfect, pure and unlike anyone. He is set apart from all others.

However, He is so good and full of grace that He wants to rip open the heavens within you and show you more of Himself. He wants to give more revelation. However it is not about revelation , it is about relationship. Yes we have heard this over and over. But we must ask ourselves, "Is my relationship with God a reality or an idea?

The reality is that God is coming in greater ways this year. He is inviting all to be recipients of the greater measure He wants to bring to us. Maybe you are in the place of "the idea". You are drawn to the concept of having the reality of a closer relationship with God, but you know you do not genuinely live in it. You are not experiencing it and you really do not have a true desire. There is no condemnation for you are in Christ and He is in you. All you need to do is stand before Him and simply ask, "Lord, I love the idea of being passionate for you and I want to have the desire, but it is not there. Will you Lord, give me the desire to pursue Your presence? Dear ones, this is worship. Bless the Lord Oh my soul and all that is within me (Psalm 103:1). If all you have is the idea of being intimate with the Lord, give it to Him. He is pleased with your offering of honesty. Be encouraged and be expectant because you are entering a quest for a real, yes I MEAN REAL, encounter with God. Is this mystical? Yes. Is mystical real? Yes. Is a mystical God practical? Yes. He is a real and mystical God who is getting ready to show up. You only have to ask. Get ready to receive!

No comments: