Thursday, April 12, 2007

More on Compassion-Random Acts of Kindness

The subject of compassion cannot be dropped without mentioning some ways to actually put it into practice.. I decided to add part two to this subject of compassion. In the last blog, I shared about what it is and how it is so vital to walk in sincere, genuine compassion. How can we practically apply this in our everyday lives? It is crucial that we know what it is, yet it is just as important that we put it into action.

First of all I believe as we learn to be consistent in our vital connection with our Lord, our spiritual antennas will be up and we will just be more aware of our surroundings. Before we get out of bed in the mornings, we should ask, "How can I serve You this day Lord? Make me a blessing." As we connect with our families, our coworkers, acquaintances, and people we meet on the street, the Holy Spirit will direct us and give us creative ways to demonstrate kindness.

Many times I have selfishly prayed for God to give me favor when going to park in a parking garage or when I am going to stand in a check out line in a store. I did this very regularly in my ninth pregnancy as I felt like a "weeble wooble" anytime I had to walk or stand for too long.

Maybe we need to look for opportunities to be vessels for God's favor to flow out of us onto others. I am going to list some ideas the Golls listed in their book along with some of my ideas for practical ways of showing random acts of kindness. You will even come up with some of your own creative ideas. I would love to hear some of the things you do if you comment back on my blog. Let us get the compassion rivers flowing and change the world! AMEN?

Send one card a week to encourage a friend or even someone you do not see very often or know very well.

Surrender your place in line to someone who seems to be in a hurry, whether in a supermarket, a bank, or elsewhere.

Give an unusually good tip to a server in a restaurant and leave them a note telling them God cares.

Look people in the eye, smile, and say thank you wherever you go. This world can be so hostile.

Take time to be a good listener to someone who needs to share his or her circumstances with you. Look them in the eye as they share. Most hurting people just want to be listened to.

Ask questions when talking to people. It shows you are truly interested in them.

When someone shares something about their life with you, ask them immediately if you can pray with them. Invite the Holy Spirit to come so that God's glory will be revealed.

Look for at least one item in your home each week or each month that you could give away.

Look for a child to encourage. Get down on your knees on their level and tell them something encouraging such as ,"God has such big plans for you! You are special!"

Every time we deposit one little act of kindness it brings light to dark places. It makes a much bigger impact than we can see with our natural eye. So let's get on it and just do it!

No comments: